I like to talk about blogging because it has become a part of my life…everyday, I’m learning new things and my eyes are opened to things I would not notice normally. Following a lot of questions I get asked so often, “How much do you make monthly from blogging?” “If I start, how soon can I start earning from blogging?” “Do you get lots of free stuff?”…Ok, hit the pause button right there!
Having been in the scene since 2013, I have learnt a few things that blogging is and/or is not. If you are reading this, then you are either a newbie blogger or you plan to start, or you could just be an ‘oldie’ who is just curious or loves learning new things. Either way, let’s get on with it… I hope you learn something today.
I’d like to start with WHAT BLOGGING IS NOT.
- Blogging is not what you do “since” you don’t have a job. Hence, you need a job until you can afford to quit and face blogging full time.
- Blogging is not a quick money scheme.
- It is not a platform for venting your anger and frustrations. This is because you won’t get solutions that way.
- Blogging is not a platform to portray a fake life. If you intend to blog professionally and full time, I don’t think you can keep up with the lies…
Are you still here? Great!
So, now that we are clear about ‘what blogging is not’, let’s check out WHAT BLOGGING IS.
- Blogging is something borne out of passion. You have to be passionate about something enough to want to share it with the world.
- Blogging is a job/hobby that demands patience. So you see, being that it is not a ‘quick money scheme’, you need patience and perseverance to stick around till the dough starts cashing in.
- Blogging is a platform for sharing your expertise.
- Blogging is a platform for proffering solutions, like my man of God (Pastor Chris Oyakhilome) will say, “look for a need and meet it”.
- Blogging is a platform for sharing your experience (aimed at teaching or helping others… or entertaining… yeah). This means that, not just every thing you experience is worth sharing.
- Blogging is a platform for inspiring others.
- Blogging is a platform to share, market and sell your or other people’s products and services
My sister will always say, “Set your priorities right.” If you know you want to start blogging majorly because of any of the reasons above, then you need to rethink it…it won’t work! better still, it won’t last. You may go ahead and set up a blog, but when the frustrations and challenges of the art come calling, you will remember this post.
To help you decide, stay tuned for my post on how to decide if you should be a blogger or not.
I hope you liked this post.
What don’t you understand about blogging? What has been your frequently asked questions about blogging?
I finally mustered courage to share this much requested post. So many people have asked me severally, how I make money from blogging and if I have another job. Well, to answer the second part, yes I do have another job. I started blogging as a hobby before I realized I could monetize my blog too.
So here I am for more than a week now, slugging it out surfing the net, reading, educating myself in the skills and terminologies involved in establishing/registering or activating my own domain. I came to the conclusion that, in life, do not look down on other people’s work or make it look as though you’re the only one doing something relevant.
I mean, I totally respect the likes of Mark Zucherberg
, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs
, etc. Wow! I am overwhelmed by the terminologies I have to get myself acquainted with over the years (being a blogger). The interesting thing is that I find it fascinating. I never thought about it, but I think, studying Computer Science or Web Design is another field of study I need to explore if I want to take this part of my life to a whole new level.
I have lost sleep, spent so much money on pain relief from spending so much time in front of a screen. Nevertheless, it’s amazing…I can’t spend a day without the internet. I mean, at some point, my boyfriend (now husband) had to seize my “wifi”. I love what I do, it’s exhausting, but I can’t even think of quitting.
This is why it is important that everyone finds it vital to turn their passion into a business. If you don’t love what you do, when the stress and pressure kicks in…you can only think of quitting. I remember what my lecturer said to me during my day in the university, he said,
Don’t hold your dream, let your dream hold you. That way, it can never let go of you, but you can let go when difficult times come.
That thought has really kept me strong for years. My passion for fashion, makeup, beauty, music, etc have been kept aflame by this mindset.
You need to understand that every business in life has it’s own challenges, difficult part, limitations, etc. which is why a lot of other people make money from other businesses’ problems. For instance, blogging is fun, great! But because of the need for an outstanding design, hosting, css codes, growth, etc. so many people have designer themes, e-books, etc. to help other bloggers grow. What are my saying? You need to read up! Google is your best friend
at this stage. Visit other blogs that talk about what you are finding difficult, etc. I have learnt so much from helplogger
. Their blogs are like my blog-building bibles.
So many people may not understand why the fuss or think you being unrealistic thinking you can make something out of blogging, but refuse to retain such information, rather get acquainted with people who are already successful in the field and follow them for motivation.
I don’t regret everything I’ve invested in becoming who I am today, and I encourage you to do the same.
The sky is your limit dear, start shooting!!!